Facebook Instagram  Twitter  Pinterest  Bloglovin
Cellist Goes Green photo 1_1_zps1177d591.pngHomeAboutResourcesContact photo 1_6_zps15a92b4b.png

Monday, July 11, 2016

Plastic Free July Day 10

Plastic Free July Day 10 cleaning with vinegar


We ran out of vinegar for cleaning, so I picked some more up in glass bottles.  Check to see if you have bulk vinegar near you (we don't).

Things I use vinegar to clean:
  • Kitchen and bathroom counters
  • Floors
  • Toilets
  • Dishwasher rinse cycle
  • Mirrors and windows 
  • Pretty much everything
I use a 1:1 ratio of vinegar to water in a spray bottle, and usually add a couple of drops of tea tree and lavender essential oils.

What's awesome about cleaning with vinegar (and baking soda):
  • Non-toxic
  • Way cheaper than "conventional" cleaners and expensive greenwashed products
  • They work!

This fall, when we are eating lots of apples again, I would like to try making apple scrap vinegar.  The Zero Waste Chef has a recipe here.

------------------------------------
If you aren't familiar with Plastic Free July, take a look at this post.  Basically, it's a month-long challenge to reduce the amount of disposable plastic you use.  It's a great starting point if you just want to give cutting out disposable plastic a try.
 

My first Plastic Free July was in 2013(!), and this month I'd like to highlight some of the things I do to reduce my plastic use, and some struggles.  Many things are part of my routine at this point (buying in bulk, refusing plastic silverware, etc.), but I am not perfect, and I always find this challenge to be a good time to refocus and look at what trash I am actually producing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment